Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 10 - Bath and Stonehenge


Today I got a day off.  We had arranged a day tour of Stonehenge, Avery Circle, and two small, quaint viliages.  I was most tempted by the Stonehenge pendants in the shape of pi, but I resisted.  It was a wet and misty day, so I was very glad we were in a tour bus and not walking in the rain.  Avery circle is another henge that was completely distroyed for religious reasons only to be re-discovered by a well off gentleman who paid to have it restored.  The grass is kept low by grazing sheep who, according to Tim, our guide, are very efficient at turning green into brown and we had to watch out for the drops of fertilizer among the stones.

For lunch, Jeri ordered chips with cheese, both of us forgetting that chips are fries, but they were still quite good.  I had a brie and bacon sandwich.  We spit a tea for two when we returned to town which was several toasted scones, tea for  me, and chocolate for Jeri.  Finally, we found a very inexpensive pub near the hostel but since Jeri and I had recently snacked on tea, we waited and had some dessert instead of dinner.  I think I am using up all that good walking with the sweets.














1 comment:

  1. Avebury was one of my favorite stops when we visited the UK - absolutely fabulous! And I got a small Venus of Willendorf replica (the size of a half-dollar) made of tiger's eye. It's the art history geek in me... :) Looks like you're having a great time. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete