Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 15 - Glasgow


Okay, so we wake up to beautifully blue skies.  The plan is to get all day subway passes and travel to Glasgow University Library to view their Thompson archives and then from there visit the Hunterian Museum and then the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.  Breakfast was continental, but filling with unlimited hot teas and other beverages.
The first indication that not everything was going to plan was that one of the ladies stomach was very tender and painful, and had been for several days.  This is a problem she had had before (gall bladder) and, in fact, was going to have surgery to fix the problem after school got out.  Given that we were to travel for 8 hours tomorrow, I decided we would need to take her to the doctor.  The hostel told us to take her to the Royal Infirmary, the closest Emergency room.  We could have taken a cab, but she said she could walk the 20 minutes as she had been walking the last several days with the pain.  I organized the rest of the students and gave them instructions.  As we walked out of the hostel that lovely blue sky that we had seen started raining on us.  The subway wasn't far, so I got them subway passes, and then came back for the trip to the ER with the student, Jeri and myself.  She got in pretty quickly (about an hour), but we waited for about four hours in total before she was sent home with some medicine and told to go back to the doctors if she got worse.
We did take a cab back to the hostel and I got the student a juice drink to help with energy without troubling her stomach too much.  When returning to the hostel I found out that one of the museums that the students were supposed to go to was closed because of exams at the University.  Oh well.  I settled everyone down and decided to go geocaching and find something to eat for lunch (tea) at 3 PM.  The first two geocaches I looked for were too busy for searching for, but I did manage to find the hardest 1-1 I have seen in a while.  The GPS signals just would not settle down.  I would never have found the little bugger without the logs.  I also found I was on the same street that James Watt lived on and worked on when he invented the steam engine.

  After that I had a nice tea and returned for a brief laydown in the hostel.
Dinner was at the hostel bar that was serving two dinners for ten pounds.  The students went off to the market to buy lunch food since we will be on the train all day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment