Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 14 - Edinburgh to Glasgow


Well, I am sitting in a much better hostel watching the gale-force winds whip the rain outside.  Yes, once again we left a city with the sun shining and arrived in rain.  Although we had considered going to the Hunterian Museum this afternoon, it is about 2 miles from the hostel and the weather is not cooperating.  However, the hostel has washing facilities and a television.  The train was a local, and although we left Edinburgh with lots of room, by the time we were on the outskirts of Glasgow, it was standing room only.  I helped a grandmother who got on with one four year old girl and a stroller find a place to sit and the stroller.  I got to sit next to the little girl and we chatted about her boots, skirts, tights, sister, father, kitty, etc.  Jeri says kids in the UK are better behaved and better educated than those at home.
We arrived in Glasgow, grabed some lunch and walked our bags to the hostel.  We split up for a bit until we could check in at 3 PM.  Jeri and I walked to the main train station to reserve our seats on the train to Holyhead on Tuesday so that we could catch the ferry to Dublin.  We have reserved seats on all three trains.  We then picked up another umbrella since I seem to have mis-placed mine and ended up with a light tea at Costa.  On the way I accidentally found myself in Ryman Stationery and somehow managed to purchase two pens that were on clearance.  One for only 50 pence.  Additionally, I decided that the pub next door would make an excellent dinner establishment, so I considered my afternon well spent.
Upon checking in to the hostel and settling in, I put a load of laundry including both my and Jeri's jeans in the wash since they would have two nights to dry if necessary.  I organized the students and we all rested in our rooms until 5:30 when Merry talked about William Thompson in preparation for tomorrow and then we all hurried our way to the Pub I had picked out for dinner.  We were told Jeri had to leave by 7 PM, but then since we had dinner and didn't linger, they weren't really stressed when we didn't actually get out until 7:30 PM.  Since it was Sunday, they had a special on roasts.  I had a roast chicken that was absolutely delicious (came with peas, carrots, green beens, potatoes (chips because they were out of roast), and yorkshire puddings.  Jeri tried something called gammon which seemed to be a ham steak.
  We heard about the pub crawl from last night and everyone pronounced themselves full and happy.  A dash back to the hostel with rain beating in our faces and I think it is time to call it a night.  Tomorrow - Lord Kelvin's Archives and the museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment