Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 3 - London

Today was our first serious day of class.  We were all up nice and early with the time change and figured out breakfast.  The Hostel has an included breakfast of cereal, toast, juice, tea, and (instant) coffee, but you can buy up to a better breakfast if you want.  I thoroughly enjoyed my big bowl of musili.  We won't talk about the coffee.

I was nearly the last one out of the hostel since when I went out the first time, I turned around and went back to the room for my scarf.  It turned out to be a great decision since is was quite a bit cooler than yesterday.  I just wish that I had remembered to grab my London maps at the same time.  I didn't mention to the students that I was navigating completely from memory all day.  First, we took the tube out to the quays and transferred to the Dockside Light Rail for the ride to Greenwich.  We spent a good deal of the trip traveling with a large group of 9-10 year old school kids which had its disadvantages (they giggled) and its advantages (we couldn't get lost since they were also going to the Observatory).

The Royal Observatory Museum is in several parts, but we had to pay to get into the Time part so we could see H1, H2, H3, and H4 plus some great paintings of Naval Disasters.
Posing at the Prime Meridian





H1

H2

H3

Tierra del Fuego

H4


From there, we went up the hill a little higher to the other part of the museum which had great displays of Astronomy.  The special exhibit was on the transit of Venus and how it was used to measure the distance between the Sun and the Earth.  We were all surprised to learn that there is one more transit of Venus in our lifetime, it will be observable during sunset in Iowa, and it will be in June.






After leaving the Museum, we had decided to eat lunch together and let people be on their own for dinner.  We had another delicious pub meal at the Greenwich Tavern.  From there, we checked out the Cutty Sark exhibit from the outside and made our way back to the tube and on to Westminster.









At Westminster Abbey I discovered that 18 year olds aren't students, they are schoolchildren and that saved us fourteen pounds for the admission to the Abbey - thank you Freshmen!  Photography is not allowed, but the audio tours are included in the price of admission.  I told the students that I would see them tomorrow morning at breakfast and they were welcome to explore on their own.

Jeri and I left the Abbey and thought about returning to the Hostel, but she wasn't free again until 7, so we headed up the river in look of a small something to eat.  We walked up to Trafalgar Square and found a lovely little bookstore.  Jeri's ankles didn't hurt nearly as much when I agreed to purchase the new Rick Riordan book which isn't available back home.  We found a nice little sandwich spot with a children's menu.  From there, since we were so close, I had to stop in the Twinings store, but they were out of what I was looking for, so I just picked up a couple of bags to tide me over.










One of the evening papers has a nice article on an interview with Terry Pratchett about how children should not be allowed to text since it hampers their language development.   Finally we got on the tube going the wrong direction, but since the tube is so complicated, we were still able to transfer to the Central line going that direction and return to the hostel.

1 comment:

  1. Note that the pictures are taken by the iTouch because batteries needed to be charged for the other cameras.

    ReplyDelete