Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 6 - Oxford

This morning we got to eat our very first "English Breakfast".  Some of my students are a bit pickier than others, and I am including Jeri in that list.  However, no one went away hungry and we observed the other guests at breakfast and will "do it better" tomorrow morning.  They were most impressed that you could order a pitcher of hot chocolate with your breakfast.

The plan of the day for the students was to explore two of the three: Library, Natural History Museum, and Ashmodian Museum.  Unfortunately for us, the much of the Library was closed off due to graduation ceremonies, but I tried pointing out that you could at least glimpse the highlights of the highlights at the Library store.  Later on students told me that you could still see one exhibit for free, but more on that later.

Jeri and I started out heading in the other direction since I had seen that there was an easy, regular geocache very close by to the South.  One easy find later, and one less trackable, and we were off to the Library.
Jeri in front of the Radcliffe Camera, part of the Library
From the Library, we headed for the Natural History and Anthropology Museums.  I was supposed to get the coordinates for another geocache from the Bee room, but I never could find the number being referred to.  However, the Natural History museum was pretty cool if you are into dinosaurs.

The first described dinosaur, from anywhere in the world, was found in Oxfordshire.  It was a 9 meter long carnivore that stood on its hind legs; we now call it Megalosaurus bucklandi, which means "Buckland's giant lizard."  The first published record of a dinosaur bone was in Dr. Robert Plot's 1677 book The Natural History of Oxfordshire.  Recognizable today as part of a single thigh bone  of Megalosaurus, it was collected in 168 million year old Jurassic rocks from Cornwell, near Oxford (transcribed from museum sign)

The museum was also in a very beautiful Victorian building with statues of famous scientists all around.  It was also impressive that all the columns were of different rocks with the columns labeled.
Charles Darwin

Newton

Galileo

Euclid

Leibnitz

Watt

Priestly

Roger Bacon

Bacon (again)

Aristotle

Hippocrates

Hodgkin

Linneaus
At that point, even though we had eaten a large breakfast, Jeri and I were feeling a bit peckish.  We set off to find a grocery store to buy a snack because I was holding out for tea and scones.  On the way, I was very excited to walk right past the Mathematics Institute which was having an open house for prospective students (you had to pre-register).  They are also pleased that they will be getting a new building in October 2013.


You should check out the city map (which I didn't have) sometime.  I could really have used a Garmin Nuvi because I ended up on the wrong side of the canal for quite some distance and ended up crossing over North and only slightly East of the train station.  By the time we found civilization, I changed up plans slightly and we ate at the top floor of the downtown department store.  Jeri got her kids meal and I got tea, clotted cream, and strawberry jam.
Finally, we spent some time in Blackstone, England's oldest and biggest bookstore where I found a Terry Pratchett trilogy about some gnomes I had never heard of.  Since I found them on the top floor in the used book section, I bought them.  While at Blackstone, the students told me that you can still see the Medieval Romance display at the Bodean Library.  So, since it was only about 150 meters away, we went.  Good timing because we got there about 4 PM and they closed at 4:30.  I then had to take pictures of all the important doorways inside the quadrangle of the library.
School of Geometry and Arithmatic


School of Metaphysics

School of Logic

School of Astronomy

Some of the students went to a lecture on Nanoparticles.  I had more tea.  And we all went to an excellent little Japanese restaurant called Edamame where the only drawback was, with 12, we had a 45 minute wait in the cold.  I hear there is a video of me in the middle of a trust circle, but I will deny all knowledge of such an attempt to stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment