Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 19 and 20 - Cambridge


We had a pretty easy train ride from Manchester to Cambridge.  We got off, found the hotel easily (in the same parking lot as the station) and headed off to the Cavendish Laboratory.  Unfortunately, we had mis-judged the scale of the map and it was an hour + swift hike to the Lab.  Fortunately, I had given us an hour to make it to the lab, so we were only a few minutes late.  We had a nice explanation of all the exhibits by a lecturer from the Lab (like a Junior Professor) who then had to leave to work with her undergraduate students.  We went back and took lots of great pictures.  Since we were all pretty foot-sore, I got everyone on the bus back to City Centre.  It was still about a 20 minute walk from there to the hostel where we checked in.  If I had known, I would have taken everyone to the History of Science Museum instead because it isn't open on Saturdays.  Oh well, live and learn.  We asked the host a the hotel where to find an inexpensive meal and he did not lead us astray.  We had an early pub meal at the Witherspoon Royale and turned in early.

The next morning right after breakfast I took a swift hike near the train tracks and found my Cambridge Geocache.

  Then, I had students give their presentations of Newton and Babbage while I talked about what I had learned about Trinity College.  Again, graduation weekend, so we were only able to wander into the Trinity Chapel and not the Library, but it was still pretty great.  After this, lunch, a bookstore, some geocaching (unsuccessful), and a wonderful Museum of Natural History that had an excellent Darwin exhibit I would go back to.  Jeri and I then had tea because we would be going to Mass at 6 PM.  Mass was uneventful and then Dim Sum for dinner afterwards.













No comments:

Post a Comment